As I read through the articles, my blood instantly started to boil. How dare they question the importance of technology for today's students?!? Well, by the last article, I had checked the dates they were written and I had tried much harder to see the other side of things.There are some very valid points being made in these articles. Some. Do some districts spend an exorbitant amount of money on technology unnecessarily? Yes. Is too much money spent on getting the latest gadget? Sometimes. Are many teachers under utilizing or abusing technology? Without a doubt. But technology actually replacing vital subjects such as the arts and physical education is not my experience. This would be a travesty. The idea of computers as the new filmstrips gets my blood pressure rising again. Maybe that is the way that things started. It is not where they are going.
In a recent lecture at the TIES conference, Jim Norwood discussed the moral imperative he believes we have as educators to prepare our students with 21st century skills. He also discussed how difficult it can be to convince others they need to change their views and methods to accomplish this. He sang Bob Dylan's song, "The Times They are a Changin'." Listen to the lyrics and apply them to educational technology. I believe, as a change agent in my school, I need to prepare those who would "sink like a stone" to swim by changing their perception of technology. My reflection paper will focus on why I believe this.
Song and lyrics found at: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/times-they-are-changin

2 comments:
I didn't mean to get your blood pressure up over this assignment! Heaven knows this time of year and what you have been through means I should not frazzle you so.
However, I do think it is important to sometimes think of the opposite so as to shore up our own arguments. Yes, the articles for the most part are old because nobody has recently written an article questioning technology. Why?
Undoubtedly it is here to stay as technology has been since always, but I think engaging in a discussion on how and not blindly accepting every latest gadget is paramount to us being good educators and stewards of school's money and students' attention.
Hopefully this was helpful to you and again I apologize if this caused you undue stress. :)
Oh, Heidi, no, no! I am just fine. I think I came across stronger than I feel. I agree, we must question. It is good to consider dissent, even imporant. I just don't think that current computer applications are interchangable with filmstrips.
Honest, my blood pressure is in no danger. :)
Post a Comment